Tuesday, 6 July 2021

Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag

 


So up until the end of June 2021 I have read 120 books.

I have given 28 books 5 stars and 59 books 4/4.5 stars.

I've been missing on here for a while due to personal health reasons but am hoping to get back to some semblance of a schedule, even if it's only a few posts a month to start with.

So without further ado onto the questions


Best book you've read so far in 2021

Twitch by MG Leonard

This was just a beautiful book, l loved the characters and the plot was really clever and engaging. I love MG Leonard and her writing style, her books always pull me into the story.







Best sequel

Heartstopper vol4 by Alice Oseman


I adore this series and this volume dealt with some really serious issues but in such a caring understanding way. It is a truly beautiful series.






A new release that you haven't read yet but want to

This Poison Heart by Kalynn Baron

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Yuri

I had to pick two for this one as I am excited for them both. I really enjoyed Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Baron so am excited to see what her next book is like. And after reading a lot of positive reviews for Tasha Suri's writing I am pumped for this one. 





Most anticipated release in the second half of the year

Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune





I adored TJ Klune's The House in the Cerulean Sea and I am so so so excited for this book! I love his writing and characters a whole heck of a lot




Biggest disappointment

Rise of the Red Hand by Olivia Chadha

This book had so much promise, it was a dystopian scifi but there was too much info dumping and instalove for me to enjoy it. Such a shame as I love science fiction but this just missed the mark a lot.






Biggest surprise

Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo

I did not like the Grisha Trilogy much at all, I found Alina to be far too whiny for a main character and I couldn't stand the Darkling but I loved the Six of Crows duology. Thanks to a friend encouraging me I read Nikolai's duology and found I really really enjoyed it. I adored Nina's chapters, loved the brief Six of Crows bits we got and actually found myself really liking Zoya. Not at all what I expected.







Favourite new author (debut or new to you)

Ashley Shuttleworth - author of A Dark and Hollow Star

I got this book in an Illumicrate and I am not going to lie I thought it was going to be a bit of a generic YA Fae story but I found myself very pleasantly surprised and I cannot wait for the next book!





New favourite fictional crush

I don't really have fictional crushes, a lot of the things I read are middle grade or young adult so it would be a little odd (me being a 38 year old woman) but I have been re-reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga with my best friend and I do have a soft spot for Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye. 






New favourite character

Rainbow from Rainbow Grey by Laura Ellen Anderson

I really loved Rainbow and her positive outlook on everything. It's so refreshing to have a character who generally enjoys things and has some really supportive friends and family. Also the artwork in this book is fantastic and definitely helps you get an added depth to the characters. 





A book that made you cry

The Paper & Hearts Society: Bookishly Ever After by Lucy Powrie

I loved Ed in this book and some of his inner worries and talks he had with himself honestly had me close to tears. In one argument with his mum and the subsequent fall out I was in full blown tears. Such a great book series. 





A book that made you happy

The Deep Sea Duke by Lauren James

I adore all of Lauren James books but this one just felt like a much needed hug in book form. I love the characters and just the gentleness of it was amazing. So so good. It makes me smile just thinking about it.





The most beautiful book you brought

Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart

This book is beautiful, the Fairyloot edition came with a stunning design on the dust jacket with artwork on the reverse, foiling on the naked hardback, sprayed stencil edges and the signature page had a similar design to match the outside. It is simply stunning and I am looking forward to reading it.





Books you want to read before the end of the year

I always say I want to keep up with my book box books and this year I really need to do some work on that. Aside from that I really want to read my preorders in a more timely manner when they are released too, I have included pictures of some of those here.

  







No comments:

Post a Comment