Friday, 4 May 2018

OWL's Magical Readathon Wrap Up



From the 2nd to 29th April I took part in the OWL's Magical Readathon.
(video explaining it all here)

The challenges were as follows and I completed the highlighted subjects:

1. Ancient Runes - Read a book with a symbol on the cover
2. Arithmacy - Read a book with a number on the cover or in the title
3. Astronomy - Read a science fiction novel
4. Care of Magical Creatures - Read a book that includes magical creatures or features a magical creature on the cover
5. Charms - Read a fantasy book
6. Defence Against the Dark Arts - Read a book about/featuring secret societies/clubs

7. Divination - Read a book featuring prophecies
8. Herbology - Read a book with a nature related word in the title
9. History of Magic - Read a historical fiction book
10. Muggle Studies - Read a non-fiction book
11. Potions - Read a book about/with Alchemy
12. Transfiguration - Read a book that deals with transfiguration/shapeshifting or a book with a cat on the cover



The books I read for each challenge were as follows (there were some changes to my planned TBR):

1. Ancient Runes - Read a book with a symbol on the cover


For this challenge I chose Monstress and I really enjoyed it. A quick intriguing read. 
3.5/5

2. Arithmacy - Read a book with a number on the cover or in the title


For this challenge I chose The Company of Eight, a Middle grade arc from Netgalley which was fun though perhaps aimed at the younger side of middle grade.
3.5/5

3. Astronomy - Read a science fiction novel


For this challenge I chose Saga vol 2 (because I was running out of time) and I really liked the plot continuation and new characters introduced.
5/5

4. Care of Magical Creatures - Read a book that includes magical creatures or features a magical creature on the cover


For this challenge I chose Inkmistress which was an okay fantasy but with an irritating original romance.
3.75/5

5. Charms - Read a fantasy book


For this challenge I chose The Wicked Deep which was a good mystery, fantasy romance with a twist.
4/5

6. Defence Against the Dark Arts - Read a book about/featuring secret societies/clubs


For this challenge I chose Six of Crows which was a heist story with a brilliant cast of characters.
5/5

7. Divination - Read a book featuring prophecies


For this challenge I chose An Ember in the Ashes which had incredible world building and a flowing written style.
5/5

8. Herbology - Read a book with a nature related word in the title


I changed my original pick for this one and went with Girls Made of Snow and Glass, which was a really unique and clever take on a re-telling.
4.5/5

9. History of Magic - Read a historical fiction book


For this challenge I chose Girl in the Blue Coat which was a historical fiction with a mystery to solve.
4/5

10. Potions - Read a book about/with alchemy


For this challenge I chose Charmcaster which is a third in a series with strong characters, plot and writing.
5/5

12. Transfiguration - Read a book that deals with transfiguration/shapeshifting or a book with a cat on the cover


For this challenge I chose Ice Wolves which was an enjoyable middle grade story with dragons and wolves.
4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment