Wednesday, 29 July 2020

Review: The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman


Details:

Title: The Thursday Murder Club
Author: Richard Osman
Publisher: Viking (Release date 3rd September 2020)
ISBN 13: 978-0241425442

Synopsis:
In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders.
But when a brutal killing takes place on their very doorstep, the Thursday Murder Club find themselves in the middle of their first live case.
Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.
Can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer before it's too late?
Review:
Can a group of old age pensioners really solve a murder before the police? Well this group will give it a go and might just cause a bit of chaos on along the way.

This was my first cosy mystery which is how I would classify it, it didn't really have the tense feeling of a thriller but it was definitely a good mystery story. Maybe a little like a mix of Agatha Christie and Midsummer Murders. The characters were all really interesting and I liked the mix they brought to the story and I really liked how the plot unfolded throughout and how a few times the reader was surprised after being led one way and the story went another. I definitely felt and appreciated Richard Osman's dry sense of humour throughout the book, some things I think you do need to be British to appreciate.

I would recommend reading this especially if you enjoy mysteries and like Richard Osman, it's a very strong debut novel.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

(I was sent this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review - there were some formatting issues with the ebook copy but I did not reflect this in the above since they will not be present in the final hardcopy)

No comments:

Post a Comment