Details:
Title: Contender: The Challenger
Author: Taran Matharu
Publisher: Hodder Childrens Books
ISBN 13: 978-1444938999
Synopsis:
CADE CARTER HAS BEEN CHOSEN
In a realm of monsters and warriors, Cade is an unwilling contender in a deadly tournament controlled by the brutal alien overlord Abaddon.
Cade may have won the first round but the fight isn't over yet. For his next battle he must duel a seven-foot-tall, clawed monster - the reigning champion of an alien race.
LOSING WILL LEAD TO EARTH'S DESTRUCTION
Desperate for anything that may give him an advantage, Cade sets off on an expedition into the jungle to scavenge weaponry to help him win. But there he is captured by gladiators, and before he knows it he finds himself participating in a deadly new game where the prize is his freedom.
ROUND TWO IS ABOUT TO BEGIN ...
In a realm of monsters and warriors, Cade is an unwilling contender in a deadly tournament controlled by the brutal alien overlord Abaddon.
Cade may have won the first round but the fight isn't over yet. For his next battle he must duel a seven-foot-tall, clawed monster - the reigning champion of an alien race.
LOSING WILL LEAD TO EARTH'S DESTRUCTION
Desperate for anything that may give him an advantage, Cade sets off on an expedition into the jungle to scavenge weaponry to help him win. But there he is captured by gladiators, and before he knows it he finds himself participating in a deadly new game where the prize is his freedom.
ROUND TWO IS ABOUT TO BEGIN ...
Review:
Can Cade and his friends survive long enough to make it to the second round of the tournament they are being forced to play in?
I really enjoy Taran's stories, he always writes engaging characters and fun adventures. This book, I felt, struggled a little as the middle book in the trilogy. The plot felt a little messy and too much time was spent on the gladiator arena and too little time spent on Cade's participation in the main tournament which was set up to be far more epic than it was. I understand why we needed the gladiator storyline but the pacing was a bit off for me. The cliffhanger at the end was annoying too but more just because I know I have to wait so long for the resolution.
I enjoyed it and I will definitely read the last book but hopefully the pacing issues will be improved.
Can Cade and his friends survive long enough to make it to the second round of the tournament they are being forced to play in?
I really enjoy Taran's stories, he always writes engaging characters and fun adventures. This book, I felt, struggled a little as the middle book in the trilogy. The plot felt a little messy and too much time was spent on the gladiator arena and too little time spent on Cade's participation in the main tournament which was set up to be far more epic than it was. I understand why we needed the gladiator storyline but the pacing was a bit off for me. The cliffhanger at the end was annoying too but more just because I know I have to wait so long for the resolution.
I enjoyed it and I will definitely read the last book but hopefully the pacing issues will be improved.
I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.
(I was sent this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)
(I was sent this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

No comments:
Post a Comment