Saturday, 12 December 2020

Review: The Cousins by Karen MMcManus

  




I was lucky enough to be chosen for the blog tour of Karen M McManus' new book which I absolutely loved! Thank you to The Write Reads and Penguin!  






Details: 
Title: The Cousins
Author: Karen M McManus
Publisher: Penguin
ISBN 13: 978-0241376942

Synopsis:

The Storys are the envy of their neighbours: owners of the largest property on their East Coast island, they are rich, beautiful, and close. Until it all falls apart. The four children are suddenly dropped by their mother with a single sentence:

You know what you did.

They never hear from her again.

Years later, when 18-year-old cousins Aubrey, Milly and Jonah Story receive a mysterious invitation to spend the summer at their grandmother's resort, they have no choice but to follow their curiosity and meet the woman who's been such an enigma their entire lives.

This entire family is built on secrets, right? It's the Story legacy.

This summer, the teenagers are determined to discover the truth at the heart of their family. But some secrets are better left alone.

Review:
Can a mysterious family secret really be solved by three teens who don't really know each other very well? Lets hope so as they're all going to be stuck together on an island for the whole summer.

I love Karen's writing and while this is a very different feel than her other books it is just as gripping and well written. This book was more cosy family mystery than edge of your seat thriller but I still found it as riveting. I definitely had a good pretty close guess to what the main secret was but there was lots around it that I didn't work out and some things that made me oooh a lot. 

The whole plot was really well done and super clever which I have come to expect from Karen's writing. The main characters each had a unique voice and I like how they developed throughout the story. I also liked seeing the grown ups too, especially Archer. His story I found quite touching.

 Overall this was a strong story which I really enjoyed and am pleased to add to my collection.

I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

(I was sent an advanced e-arc of this book by The Write Reads and Penguin in exchange for an unbiased review. )

No comments:

Post a Comment