Friday, 1 March 2019

February 2019 Wrap Up

So in February 2019 I managed to read a total of 11 books.

Audiobooks -




  The Wicked King by Holly Black
Narrated by Caitlin Kelly
Length - 10h 20m
Star rating - 4.5 stars

I read The Cruel Prince last year and wasn't overly impressed to be honest but I did enjoy the audiobook performer so I thought I would give the sequel a go and I actually enjoyed it a lot more. The characters all got some good development and the plot I felt was a lot tighter. Also that cliffhanger ending was a killer! Actually looking forward to the next book a lot now.


The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Narrated by David Thorpe
Length - 11h 31m
Star rating - 5 stars

My usual genre of choice is fantasy and science fiction and while this is fantasy it's also partly historical retelling but I adored it. Patroclus is a cinnamon roll who needs to be protected at all costs and the relationship between him and Achilles was heartbreaking. It's an absolutely breathtaking book and the storytelling is so engrossing. The narrator had the perfect tone and the characters were distinct. I immediately put Circe on my audible TBR.




Planetfall by Emma Newman
Narrated by Emma Newman
Length - 10h 01m
Star rating - 4 stars

Planetfall was a really unique sci-fi story, it cleverly wove the science fiction elements into a very personal discovery story. I loved the idea that one small secret could change things forever. Renata was a very complex character who made me feel frustrated one minute and sympathy the next. Emma reads it so well and brings another level of personal connection to the story.





Graphic Novels/Manga -



The Mortal Instruments vol 2 by Cassandra Clare
Illustrated by Cassandra Jean
Length - 208 pages
Star rating - 3.75 stars

I read The Cruel Prince last year and wasn't overly impressed to be honest but I did enjoy the audiobook performer so I thought I would give the sequel a go and I actually enjoyed it a lot more. The characters all got some good development and the plot I felt was a lot tighter. Also that cliffhanger ending was a killer! Actually looking forward to the next book a lot now.





The Amulet vol 2 by Kazu Kibishi
Length - 220 pages
Star rating - 4 stars

I find this series an easy one to read with good plot and characters and absolutely gorgeous artwork. I loved the new character that was introduced this time around and look forward to seeing more of him as the story continues.








Heartstopper vol 1 by Alice Oseman
Length - 278 pages
Star rating - 4.5 stars

This was so cute! It's a boy meets boy story that feels so grounded and real that it just makes me feel even more for them. I am already so protective of these boys and this is only the first volume. It deals with some really difficult issues but in such a natural way that it becomes even more meaningful. I am not a contemporary reader but I am now looking into trying one of Alice Oseman's full novels.





The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill
Length - 60 pages
Star rating - 5 stars

I got the Owlcrate version of this book in my February box and read it one evening in like half an hour. It was so sweet and cute with beautiful art. The characters are all so unique and I loved the whole idea behind the tea dragons. Being a big tea drinker myself I now want a dragon all of my very own!





 Novels  -



The Extinction Trials: Rebel by SM Wilson
Length - 384 pages
Star rating - 5 stars

I thought this was a really good ending to the trilogy. The blurb is definitely right that this series is The Hunger Games meets Jurassic Park but it's so much more as well. The characters are distinct and the plot gripping. And overall I was very happy with how this series wrapped up.





The Quiet at the End of the World by Lauren James
Length - 352 pages
Star rating - 5 stars

I have a full review coming for this book on it's release day. I will link it here once it goes up.
Suffice to say I adore Lauren James and love love love her writing style.





                                                                                                                                                                  
Shadowscent: The Darkest Bloom by PM Freestone
Length - 448 pages
Star rating - 5 stars

I was lucky enough to attend the launch event of this book in London and it got me very excited to read it. PM Freestone is a lovely person and her enthusiasm for this story was infectious. It did not disappoint. I buddy read it with my best friend and we agreed it was brilliant. Killer cliffhanger though! I need the next book now!




 ARCs  -



The Star-Spun Web by Sinead O'Hart
Length - 384 pages
Star rating - 4 stars

I read The Eye in the North by this author last year and really enjoyed it. It was a great middle grade polar fantasy and so I was excited to try this. It was a really interesting read and I liked how the different threads wove together. I especially liked the adults of the childrens home and how they never spoke down to the children but respected them. Will definitely read more from this author, she's on my list to watch for now.




This month all of the books I read were brilliant! I gave out five 5 star reads which was really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment