Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Gollancz Preview Evening



Gollancz Preview Evening



I was lucky enough to be added to the guestlist for the Gollancz preview evening which took place in London on 21st March 2019. Upon arrival my friends and I were given name badges and were taken upstairs to the event area. After hanging up our coats and grabbing a seat we spotted a couple of authors (Vic James and Ben Aaronovitch) and grabbed some really cute little cupcakes.




We were given a look at a mix of already released titles and those being released in the future. These included Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (introduced by Leigh herself in a pre-recorded message),  Atlas Alone by Emma Newman (a book I personally am looking forward to) and A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie which was also accompanied by a video message which had the whole room laughing. We were also lucky enough to be treated to a Vic James telling us about the inspiration behind her new book Sanctuary - an adult murder mystery with witches and intrigue.



 


We then had a little break for pizza and cocktails - we were asked to try 2 different vodka based cocktails and vote for the best (for research purposes of course). There was also a rush on the books Gollancz gave out that night - one small criticism would be that they knew how many people were attending yet had limited stacks of books. Stevie, the organiser, did say she would contact people to organise sending copies to those who missed out so we shall see what happens there.



After the break we were treated to an audio excert from The October Man - the new novella from the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch who then told us why we had been tested vodka's for him and a little more about The October Man. 

Before we left a couple of friends and myself enjoyed the view from the garden terrace of the building and I have to admit it's a much nicer view than when I am at work ;)




Overall it was a really good night, I caught up with some fellow bloggers, discovered some new ones and, best of all, added more books to my ever growing TBR list.

No comments:

Post a Comment