In May 2019 I managed to read a total of 13 books.
Audiobooks -

King of Fools by Amanda Foody
Narrated by Saskia Maarleveld
Length - 17h 30m
Star rating - 4.5 stars
I really enjoyed this book. I adore the narrator and she tells this story wonderfully. The second in the Shadow Game series really upped the anti and I loved how Enne gained confidence and her girl gang was awesome. Levi got on my nerves a little bit but Jac was the new star for me. I am in completely love with him.
Gilded Cage by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 11h 52m
Star rating - 4 stars
It took me a while to get into this book but once I got about three quarters of the way through I started to very much got into it. I like that we get POV's from a variety of characters, the world set up is scarily something I could see happening too. Very good first book.
Tarnished City by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 12h 54m
Star Rating - 5 stars
Well things certainly got more heated in this one. Again we get the multiple POV's which is a really clever way of showing both sides of the fight and makes it much harder to dismiss the 'bad' guys as just bad. The skilled world is just as much of a cage as the unskilled find themselves in. The politics was a fascinating aspect for me personally.
Bright Ruin by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 13h 23m
Star Rating - 5 stars
Obviously being the last in a series I don't want to spoil anything so all I will say is I was very satisfied with the ending of this trilogy. I adore Luke and Silyan and their particular story was definitely my favourite, Silyan is such a complex character - far more than you first realise. Loved it. And highly recommend the audio, the narrator does an incredible job.

King of Fools by Amanda Foody
Narrated by Saskia Maarleveld
Length - 17h 30m
Star rating - 4.5 stars
I really enjoyed this book. I adore the narrator and she tells this story wonderfully. The second in the Shadow Game series really upped the anti and I loved how Enne gained confidence and her girl gang was awesome. Levi got on my nerves a little bit but Jac was the new star for me. I am in completely love with him.
Gilded Cage by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 11h 52m
Star rating - 4 stars
It took me a while to get into this book but once I got about three quarters of the way through I started to very much got into it. I like that we get POV's from a variety of characters, the world set up is scarily something I could see happening too. Very good first book.
Tarnished City by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 12h 54m
Star Rating - 5 stars
Well things certainly got more heated in this one. Again we get the multiple POV's which is a really clever way of showing both sides of the fight and makes it much harder to dismiss the 'bad' guys as just bad. The skilled world is just as much of a cage as the unskilled find themselves in. The politics was a fascinating aspect for me personally.
Bright Ruin by Vic James
Narrated by Avita Jay
Length - 13h 23m
Star Rating - 5 stars
Obviously being the last in a series I don't want to spoil anything so all I will say is I was very satisfied with the ending of this trilogy. I adore Luke and Silyan and their particular story was definitely my favourite, Silyan is such a complex character - far more than you first realise. Loved it. And highly recommend the audio, the narrator does an incredible job.
Novels -
The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary
Length - 394 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars
My full review can be found here

Queenslayer by Sebastien de Castell
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars
This is the penultimate book in the Spellslinger series and my goodness it was a great one. Kellen really is growing as a young man and it's nice to see that throughout the last couple of books especially. I adore his relationship with Reichis and that remains one of my favourite parts of the series. A solid 5 stars and I am half anticipating and half dreading the next book as I don't want the series to end!
A Good Girls Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson
Length - 432 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars
This came highly recommended by some friends who had read the arc last year and I was so glad I listened. I would say murder mystery type books aren't my thing but then I have read and enjoyed One of us is lying too so maybe they are. This one was brilliant, the characters were well written, the plot was incredibly well constructed and I loved the twists and turns which I mostly did not see coming. Highly recommended.
The Dragon with the Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis

Finale by Stephanie Garber
The Inquisition by Taran Matharu
Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Length - 394 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars
My full review can be found here

Queenslayer by Sebastien de Castell
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars
This is the penultimate book in the Spellslinger series and my goodness it was a great one. Kellen really is growing as a young man and it's nice to see that throughout the last couple of books especially. I adore his relationship with Reichis and that remains one of my favourite parts of the series. A solid 5 stars and I am half anticipating and half dreading the next book as I don't want the series to end!
Length - 432 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars
This came highly recommended by some friends who had read the arc last year and I was so glad I listened. I would say murder mystery type books aren't my thing but then I have read and enjoyed One of us is lying too so maybe they are. This one was brilliant, the characters were well written, the plot was incredibly well constructed and I loved the twists and turns which I mostly did not see coming. Highly recommended.
The Dragon with the Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis
Length - 249 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars
This was a super cute middle grade which I read for a reading challenge and it honestly kept me hooked. I loved it and the overall positivity you got from reading it was wonderful to see. In fact I loved it so much I immediately brought the sequel which I am hoping to get to soon.

Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt de la Pena
Length - 336 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars
This is the last in the DC Icons series and I was apprehensive going into it as Superman is not a favourite character of mine but neither was Batman and that ended up being the best in my opinion. Sadly for Superman it was not meant to be and I found it a little slow, boring and not overly well written. Definitely my least favourite of this series.
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars
The last book in Stephanie Garber's Caraval series was satisfying but didn't truly capture the wonder and magic of the first book for me. While I enjoy the characters and plot I do think the first book is the strongest of them all. I am glad I read them however and will read whatever Stephanie does next. A solid read just missing that extra sparkle.
Nocturna by Maya Montayne
Length - 300 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars
This book fell very flat for me, it felt full of rehashed storylines from other popular, and dare I say, better written fantasy stories. It was overly long, I didn't come to care about any of the characters and the repetition of the word 'maldito' made me want to throw the book across the room. Definitely not a read for me and I will not be continuing on with the series - where is it even going to go from there?
Length - 407 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars
This was a brilliant sequel, admittedly it threw me a bit when it started as a longer amount of time had passed than I realised at first but it soon got back into the swing of things. I really love the relationships between the summoners and the demons and this book had more political intrigue going on which is a personal preference of mine.
Length - 470 pages
Star Rating - 4.75 stars
Ensemble sci-fi is great and Jay and Amie are phenomenal at writing it so I had high hopes for this book and it did not disappoint. While it didn't have the uniqueness that Illuminae had it still had solid characters and an intriguing plot. I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.










No comments:
Post a Comment