Sunday, 1 March 2020

February Wrap Up

In February 2020 I managed to read a total of 18 books.

I managed to complete all of my TBR jar prompts for February and read 7 books for the Februwitchy challenge! I had a lot of really good books this month and am overall very happy. 





Audiobooks -




Children of Virtue & Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Narrated by Bahni Turpin
Length - 13h 27m
Star rating - 3 stars

This was so disappointing especially because I loved the first book. This one was full of YA tropes that made all the characters seem stupid and make really silly decisions. Also so much could have been sorted by just talking to each other. A big let down after much anticipation. 





This is going to hurt by Adam Kay
Narrated by Adam Kay
Length - 6h 17m
Star rating - 5 stars

This book actually had me laughing out loud! It was so witty and hilarious but at times really heartbreaking and poignant too. It was really interesting for me, someone who works in a hospital, to get this perspective and quite honestly I think anybody who uses the NHS should be made to read it.




The Creakers by Tom Fletcher
Narrated by Samantha Bond
Length - 5h 19m
Star rating - 4 stars

This was a really fun audiobook to listen to. I did flip through the physical book at the same time as the illustrations are gorgeous. I very much enjoy Tom Fletcher's way of relating to kids and have no trouble getting pulled into the story and enjoying it. It was perhaps a little too obvious at times, only to adults I am sure, but I still loved it. 




A Pinch of Magic by Michelle Harrison
Narrated by Nikki Diss
Length - 8h 44m
Star rating - 4 stars

This was really good. I really liked the characters and the plot was solid too. I definitely found this to be a great magical read. The narrator had a great voice and you could tell the individual characters from the changes in the tone.







Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
Narrated by Moira Quirk
Length - 16h 50m
Star rating - 4.5 stars

I bloody loved Gideon, in fact I think it's been a while since I adored a character this much. Her voice was incredible and I found her really likeable. Her attitude was brilliant and some of her one liners had me properly cackling. Really need the next book now!



Rogue Princess by BR Myers
Narrated by Lucy Brownhill
Length - 9h 25m
Star rating - 4 stars

This gave me Lunar Chronicles vibes at times, which wasn't a bad thing, it had great characters and the plot was much more intricate than I had originally assumed. Some points I was on the edge of my seat. Also loved the clever nods to the original fairytale scattered in the book.







The Highland Falcon Thief by MG Leonard & Sam Sedgman
Narrated by Jot Davies
Length - 6h 47m
Star rating - 5 stars

This was the Agatha Christie for kids book I didn't know I needed. It was wonderfully entertaining with some really lovely characters. I had to check out the physical copy as I was listening too since the illustrations throughout were beautiful. If you love mystery and middle grade then I highly recommend this book.



Novels  -



Nevertell by Katharine Orton
Length - 384 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was a lovely story set in a time that was difficult for so many. But the hope in this book is truly heartwarming. I loved Lina and Bogdan and how they relied on each others friendship while also developing as individuals too. Overall a really good read with a nice message too.
          
                          
                              


The Near Witch by VE Schwab
Length - 320 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was a really atmospheric and at times spooky read which was very enjoyable but didn't quite have the finesse I have come to expect from Schwab. But as her first novel it still has bits that are very much in her style and you can see the development of her writing from this to later works. 
Belle Revolte by Linsey Millar
Length - 384 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

The first half of this book was good if a little slow however at around the halfway point it started kicking up a gear and got more action packed and interesting. The characters were strong and the representation, I felt, was well done. I liked the plot once it got a little clearer and I very much enjoyed the characters.

                 


Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
Length - 376 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

Sadly this didn't quite hit the spot for me. I did love the descriptions and the cultural aspects were really interesting. The elephant was fun though not in it an awful lot, and the character of Neel was lovely. Our main character I found hard to like and the plot felt too convenient and rushed especially towards the end. Even for a middle grade it felt too simplistic at times.







Star Wars: A Finn & Poe Adventure by Cavan Scott
Length - 144 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

While I did enjoy this it didn't give me everything I was hoping for. Poe was developed well, with him questioning the things he was doing after his actions in The Last Jedi and we saw Leia dealing with the repurcussions of being thrown into space but the other characters we know were very quiet and almost not there. I guess that is 
         
                                   


Windwitch by Susan Dennard
Length - 459 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

As I found Truthwitch a middle of the road fantasy I wasn't expecting much from the second book in the series but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I enjoyed it so much more and the characters were more engaging. Very much looking forward to the next one.

                              


Steel Crow Saga by Paul Kreuger
Length - 528 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I don't think I can rave about this book enough. The world building was super strong and the characters were brilliant - each having their own uniqueness to them. I enjoyed the way the book was split between the characters - I felt this helped add to the world. Definitely following this authors works.



Graphic Novels  -

                             


The Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag
Length - 217 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

This was much more than I expected it to be. It was a really good story with a very positive message and a lovely cast of characters. Looking forward to the next volumes. 

                                                                       
             

Locke and Key vol 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill
Length - 168 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I am not a horror fan but this series really clicked for me. I enjoyed it a lot and am already invested in the characters. I am a huge wuss when it comes to scary things but in this format I am really liking it. Very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
                                                                   

The Hidden Witch by Molly Ostertag
Length - 208 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I had to get this volume after enjoying the first one so much and it didn't let me down. The new character was interesting and Aster's self confidence growing was brilliant. 

                                                          
                                   


The Midwinter Witch by Molly Ostertag
Length - 208 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This whole series has been enchanting, I've really enjoyed following Aster on his journey and the artwork has just been beautiful.


                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment