Saturday, 4 April 2020

Review: Once and Future vol 1 by Kieron Gillen



Title: Once and Future vol 1
Author: Kieron Gillen
Publisher: BOOM! Studios
ISBN 13: 978-1684154913

Synopsis:
When a group of Nationalists use an ancient artifact to bring a villain from Arthurian myth back from the dead, retired monster hunter Bridgette McGuire pulls her unsuspecting grandson Duncan, a museum curator, into a world of magic and mysticism to defeat a legendary threat. Now the two must navigate the complicated history of the McGuire family, all while combating the deadly secrets of England’s past that threaten its very future.
Review:
This is the first volume in a new series by Kieron Gillen (author of various Star Wars graphic novels including Doctor Aphra) which chronicles the possible return of King Arthur but perhaps not quite in the way you would expect. 

Duncan is a really interesting character and I kind of like his quiet strength and obvious love he has for his grandmother. Even as he discovers things aren't quite what they seem he handles it pretty well and steps up. The artwork is beautiful and I loved the use of colour and the little details. 

I really liked this graphic novel and am really excited to read more. I think it set up the story and characters really well. 

I gave this graphic novel 4.5 out of 5 stars.

(I was sent this graphic novel by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

No comments:

Post a Comment