Friday, 1 May 2020

April Wrap Up

In April 2020 I managed to read a total of  30 books.

I read 30 things this month (15 of them being a graphic novel type books). And overall I enjoyed most of the things I read, I had an especially good rate of enjoyment with my audiobooks.





Audiobooks -



A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor
Narrated by Zara Ramm
Length - 8h 55m
Star rating - 4 stars

I really love this series, it is such good fun. Max keeps growing on me and I get really emotional on her behalf . The historical aspect never lets me down either and there is always somewhere new and exiting they travel to. I like the developments we get in this one of the overarching plotlines too. 




Our Stop by Laura Jane Williams
Narrated by Carrie Hope Fletcher, Felix Scott
Length - 8h 23m
Star rating - 4 stars

This was really cute. I've said before contemporary books aren't really my thing but I did enjoy this. It was very lighthearted with likeable characters. Audio narration was spot on and overall this was an easy quick read. 





The Lost Future of Pepperharrow by Natasha Pulley
Narrated by Thomas Judd
Length - 13h 40m
Star rating - 5 stars

I bloody loved this. Mori and Thaniel are so precious and need to be protected at all costs. Thaniel especially made my heart break at numerous points in the book and he just needed a hug. Words cannot express how much I loved this. 




Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence
Narrated by Helen Duff
Length - 16h 2m
Star rating - 4 stars

I really enjoy the performance of this audiobook, I think the narrator does a great job with the individual voices. I am really excited to see where the story goes from here. 





The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley
Narrated by Cathleen McCarron, Laura Kirman, Clare Corbett, Ellie Heydon, Joshua Manning
Length - 10h 4m
Star rating - 4.5 stars

This was a great mystery which had me on the edge of my seat. The different narrators for the different character chapters was fab and I felt added to the whole experience. Definitely want to read more by this author. 




The Pale Dreamer by Samantha Shannon
Narrated by Alanna Kerr Collins
Length - 2h 27m
Star rating - 5 stars

It is no secret that I love this series and this narrator and it was just great to see characters I know and love in an earlier stage in their timeline. 






Novels  -




Hold Back the Tide by Melinda Salisbury
Length - 300 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

This was fantastic, which I am not surprised by because Mel Salisbury is awesome. The atmosphere of this book was spot on and I really loved out protagonist and I was so rooting for her. This book broke my heart, which I am sure makes Mel smile. 
                                    
                            


Gargantis by Thomas Taylor
Length - 336 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

Check out my review here.

Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian
Length - 433 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars

This was a massive let down. It was full of typical YA tropes, not done very well and took way to long to get into an actual plot which then threw in something very random right at the end. Definitely not a series I will continue on with.

                 



The Outcast by Taran Matharu
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

Arcturus and Sacharissa are two of my faves from the Summoner series so reading a prequel based around them was great. I loved seeing characters we already know and how they started out. I appreciated seeing the dynamics and it made me want to reread the main trilogy. 






Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi
Length - 384 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was a really strong middle grade which combined adventure and fun with some meaningful life lessons. I found the mythology really interesting as it wasn't something I knew much about but enjoyed it a lot. Quick, easy and enjoyable read. 
         
                                   





The Mask of Aribella by Anna Hoghton
Length - 278 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

This was a magical read. The setting was amazing and there was intigue, adventure, humour and heart all combined into a unique feeling story. Aribella was a sweetheart and the twists and turns would capture anybodys imagination.

                          


Aru Shah and the Song of Death by Roshani Chokshi
Length - 304 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

It isn't often I like the second book in a series more than the first but I did with this one. The merging of popculture and mythology is so spot on and makes me smile as I am reading. Aru is awesome and I really like her relationship with her sisters and friends. 
         

                                   


Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto
Length - 619 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I loved this book so much! I love all the characters (Though Sev and Kade might have stolen a little more of my heart), the plot moved along well and I really love how the chapters are split between characters. I am in desperate need of the next book!

                          



Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars



Review to come.
         



                                   



Graphic Novels  -
                             


Avengers: Scarlet Witch by Dan Abnett
Length - 232 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars

I always forget the artwork in the earlier comics was so iffy, a character essentially wearing a bathing suit and a cape to go out in snow, makes perfect sense right? This collection was a bit of a missmash of stories.

                                                                       
             

Amulet vol 4 by Kazu Kibuishi
Length - 219 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This volume gave is plot movement and character development, still a fun story I am enjoying. Artwork is fab. 
                                                                   

Hawkeye vol 1 by Matt Fraction
Length - 136 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

This was interesting but it took me a long time to warm up to Clint. His comic verse self is very different to the MCU version. Art style works well for the atmosphere it is going for. I liked seeing Kate Bishop who I know from Young Avengers. 
                                                  
                                                                                               

Once and Future vol 1 by Kieron Gillen
Length - 160 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

See my review here.

                                                          
                                                

BB8 on the run by Drew Daywalt
Length - 40 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I watched Daisy Ridley read this on YouTube and it was so much fun. I can definitely see it appealing to young and old Star Wars fans.
                                   
                                

DIE vol 2 Split the Party by Kieron Gillen
Length - 168 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I like how the plot is developing and the art is still absolutely stunning. Enjoying this series.  
                                                  
                                                                                               

Amulet vol 5 by Kazu Kibuishi
Length - 203 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This volume gave us some answers to things from previous volumes, and I feel our protagonists have a clear direction now..

                                                          
                                                                                                      

Fence vol 1 by CS Pacat
Length - 112 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I didn't know I needed a series about fencing but apparently I do. This was a strong first volume and reminded me of slow burn mangas I used to read. Super cute and entertaining fun.
                                                                   

Amulet vol 6 by Kazu Kibuishi
Length - 224 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I think the character development in this volume was solid and I liked seeing the siblings come into their own. The story is definitely ramping up now. 
                                                  
                                                                                               

The Snow Dragon by Abi Elphinstone
Length - 48 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This story was simple but enchanting and the illustrations were gorgeous. I really enjoyed reading this and appreciating the beautiful work.

                                                                                                 

Shades of Magic vol 2 by VE Schwab
Length - 112 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I enjoyed this volume more than the first. I found the storyline more interesting with the game aspect and the surprise towards the end too. Artwork was great but again I do think you need to read the books to appreciate it fully.

                                                          

                                   



Amulet vol 7 by Kazu Kibuishi
Length - 199 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

Well I did not see that coming, what a development. I really liked it a lot and now need to order the next one.

                                                                           






Freeda the Frog and the two mommas next door by Nadine Haruni
Length - 38 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was so adorable and honestly a lovely way to get a simple message across to children (and grown ups alike). I loved the bright artwork. 

I got this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

                                               
                               





Hawkeye vol 2 by Matt Faction
Length - 136 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

I struggled to connect to Clint in this, I just actually find him annoying. Definitely not something that will stick with me or make me want to reread sadly.

                                                                           

                               




Hawkeye vol 3 by Matt Faction
Length - 120 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

I like Kate Bishop and this focused mostly on her which was good but I still struggled to connect to it. Maybe the artstyle didn't help as it wouldn't be my first choice to be honest.

                                                                           




                             

No comments:

Post a Comment