Thursday, 4 July 2019

June Wrap Up

In June 2019 I managed to read a total of 16 books.


Audiobooks -




War of the Bastards by Andrew Shvarts
Narrated by Brittany Pressley
Length - 11h 58m
Star rating - 5 stars

I loved this book. I adore the narrator who has narrated all three books in this trilogy. The last in the Royal Bastards series got a little more political and examined the state of the kingdom. Old characters returned, things were said that needed to be and overall it was a very satisfying conclusion.





Viper by Bex Hogan
Narrated by Saffron Coomber
Length - 11h 2m
Star rating - 4.5 stars

This was packed with so many things I love: escapades, pirates, secrets, badassery, strong well developed characters, plot twists and a sense of adventure. Highly enjoyable with a really strong narration.




Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Narrated by Rebecca Soler
Length - 10h 3m
Star Rating - 5 stars

I loved this. I went in a bit sceptical as it is a very hyped series but it very quickly won me over with the most adorable characters and a really interesting story. I loved the nods to other fairytales. And a bit of political intrigue too which is always a good thing in my book. Looking forward to more in this series!



Beyond a Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake
Narrated by Alana Kerr Collins
Length - 12h 22m
Star Rating - 4.75 stars

The mash up of Norse and Celtic mythology was really really good. The main character was strong and badass and I really enjoyed her development as the story went on. One of my favourite narrators read this book and her grasp of accents is just spot on.



 Novels  -

                             


Contender: The Chosen by Taran Matharu
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

This was intense. I was a little unsure when I first started due to the modern setting but as soon as it got going I really enjoyed it. It had everything I love; endearing characters, personal journeys, suspense, mystery and, of course, dinosaurs! I love Taran Matharu's writing and love everything of his I read.

                                                                       






Cogheart by Peter Bunzl
Length - 362 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

While I enjoyed aspects of the world building and the steampunk aspect of this book it did fall a little flat for me. It was perhaps a little young for me as I saw all of the twists before they happened. At the same time when big life changing things happened the kids in the story would be fine and just carry on without much emotion or impact. 

          
                                                     


The Summoner: Battlemage by Taran Matharu
Length - 432 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

The final installment of the summoner trilogy did not disappoint. It had action, adventure, heart and humour. I really really love how well Taran writes his characters, I felt for Fletcher so much and his relationship with his demons is simply heartwarming. I was overall pretty satisfied with how this series ended even if I do want another little book catching up with those who remain at the end and seeing a little into their future. 

                               



Romanov by Nadine Brandes
Length - 337 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

The writing in this was really nice and the story was okay but I found it didnt really go anywhere. The magic system was interesting but, for me, there was too much emphasis on the romantic aspect. A good read but a bit forgettable perhaps.

           


The Paper and Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie
Length - 355 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was a far more emotional book than I expected it to be. At times it brought back some rather unpleasant memories from my school years back to the forefront of my mind, things I thought I'd left behind but realise now do still linger at the back of my mind even now, though thankfully with less strength as I've grown older. It's an incredibly well written book with interesting characters and a style which is easy to read. I definitely enjoyed it and on a lighter note want to do the literary road trip with my own bookish besties.

                 

Ship of Smoke and Steel by Django Wexler
Length - 367 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

I didn't expect much when I went into it but I really enjoyed it. The ship setting was intriguing and I really liked the descriptions of everything. The characters were interesting and well developed and I adored Meroe so much.




Starfell: Willow Moss and the Lost Day by Dominique Valente
Length - 288 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

I had so much fun while reading this book. It had everything I wanted, magic, a quest, diverse characters and a really good feeling while reading. I loved Willow, she was a very sweet and kind character who I was rooting for. I also love the growth she had during the book.
Sanctuary by Caryn Lix
Length - 480 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

This was a great atmospheric thrilling read, I really liked all the characters especially the core group and thought the plot was well thought out. There were a few surprises which I didn't see coming - but probably should have with my scifi reading background lol.

Kenzie was a great character (although she did get convinced to switch sides a little too easily but I'm letting her age excuse that) and I really liked her development.



LifeLike by Jay Kristoff
Length - 398 pages
Star Rating - 4 stars

This was a full on action packed story. It definitely had moments of Mad Max and Bladerunner which was what the blurb suggested. I really enjoyed Lemon Fresh, her unique style of speech was brilliant and her friendship with Eve was adorable.

There were a few surprise moments and a few I wondered about before the reveals. Overall it was a great scifi adventure and I look forward to the sequel.

          

                                                 Graphic Novels -

                             


The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill
Length - 136 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I read the Tea Dragon Society last year when it came in an owlcrate box and this prequel is just as cute. The artwork is stunning and the story has some really lovely messages running through it but they don't seem too pushy, if you know what I mean. Loved it and cannot wait to own a copy.

                                                                       





Black Widow: Deadly Origin by Paul Cornell
Length - 112 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars

Urgh what a way to ruin a character. This whole graphic novel was plot what plot and really did nothing to show the amazing kick ass character Natasha is. Definitely not one I will be reading again or keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment