Details:
Title: The Conspiracy of Magic
Author: Harriet Whitehorn
Publisher: Stripes Publishing
ISBN 13: 978-1788950367
Synopsis:
In a world where magic is so powerful it has been outlawed, Cass is a rare creature – an obtuse, someone who is unaffected by magic. But what has always felt like a handicap becomes a strength when sorcerers and magicians begin to perform magical deceptions with malicious intent. The Queen of Minaris is in grave danger and it’s up to Cass to protect her. But how can Cass defeat the sinister magician behind it all with no powers herself?
Review:
In this second book in the Company of Eight series Cass finds that her obtuse abilities can come in handy for those around her, but could they also be making her a target?
Cass is a really compelling character, I love her development in this book and that we delve more into her emotional responses to things that happen. It's nice to see how much she had grown from the first book. The world building is very strong and I adored seeing more of the different countries. The maps and location explanations before each chapter are an incredible touch and I really loved the asthetic of the whole book. I thought the plot was clever, with some surprising moments and while I found it wrapped up just a little too quickly for me the last chapter had me wanting more.
Overall I found this book to be a wonderful continuation and I especially loved seeing more of the world. Definitely looking forward to the next one!
In this second book in the Company of Eight series Cass finds that her obtuse abilities can come in handy for those around her, but could they also be making her a target?
Cass is a really compelling character, I love her development in this book and that we delve more into her emotional responses to things that happen. It's nice to see how much she had grown from the first book. The world building is very strong and I adored seeing more of the different countries. The maps and location explanations before each chapter are an incredible touch and I really loved the asthetic of the whole book. I thought the plot was clever, with some surprising moments and while I found it wrapped up just a little too quickly for me the last chapter had me wanting more.
Overall I found this book to be a wonderful continuation and I especially loved seeing more of the world. Definitely looking forward to the next one!
I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.
(I received this book from the publisher/Dark Room Tours but it in no way has effected my review. All opinions and thoughts are my own)
About the Author
Harriet Whitethorn is the author of the VIOLET books, a middle grade detective series from Simon and Schuster. Titles include VIOLET AND THE PEARL OF THE ORIENT, and VIOLET AND THE SMUGGLERS. The books have been nominated for several awards including the Waterstones Children's Book Prize and Sainsbury's Childrens Book Award. Before becoming a full time writer Harriet worked in building conservation. Harriet lives in London with her husband and two daughters.
Website: www.harrietwhitethorn.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/h_whitehorn


No comments:
Post a Comment