Tuesday, 10 April 2018

Review #46 - Ice Wolves (Elementals #1) by Amie Kaufman



Details:

Title: Ice Wolves (Elementals #1)
Author: Amie Kaufman
Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN 13: 978-0062457981

Synopsis:

Everyone in Vallen knows that ice wolves and scorch dragons are sworn enemies who live deeply separate lives.
So when twelve-year-old orphan Anders takes one elemental form and his twin sister, Rayna, takes another, he wonders whether they are even related. Still, whether or not they’re family, Rayna is Anders’s only true friend. She’s nothing like the brutal, cruel dragons who claimed her as one of their own and stole her away.
In order to rescue her, Anders must enlist at the foreboding Ulfar Academy, a school for young wolves that values loyalty to the pack above all else. But for Anders, loyalty is more complicated than obedience, and friendship is the most powerful shapeshifting force of all.
Review:

I found this book was a fun, action packed yet thoughtful read. We follow the twins Anders and Rayna to begin with and we see how they work together to survive. But then I would say for around two thirds of the book we follow Anders on his own after Rayna is kidnapped by dragons after transforming into one herself. Anders grows so much in the space of this book and I love that we got to follow that journey. It's a book that challenges preconceived ideas and prejudices and I like that it's the kids who can see that things aren't as black and white as everybody believes.  

I really liked the story and am eager to see how it continues in the next book. It is a middle grade and I think the writing reflects that but it's well written and even in my thirties I enjoyed it.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment