Monday, 24 April 2017

Whimsify April 2017 Unboxing



So this post is the unboxing of the April 2017 Whimsify box (What follows will contain spoilers so please do not read if you don't want to know what is in the box)

Whimsify is a monthly subscription box for lovers of young adult fantasy and sci-fi books which contains a new release as well as 4-6 high quality bookish items that go with the theme.


The theme for the month of April was More than Machine (Spoiler filled post under the cut)





The spoiler card was on top of the box with the cute artwork  :)



The first item was a BB-8 bath fizzle from Wizard at Work which smells of raspberry and vanilla. I don't have a bath but I do stay at hotels so I am looking forward to using this on my next visit. I adore BB-8, he's one of my favourite characters from the new Star Wars films so I loved this item.


Then there was a Merciful candle from Novelly Yours. The scent was unusual but not in a bad way and having recently read Illuminae and Gemina I appreciated the name of it and the link to those books.



Up next was a lip balm from Kool and Co called Cinder which had the smell of tangerin, Cinder is from the Lunar Chronicles which I haven't read yet but lip balms are always useful. There was also a keyring featuring the TARDIS by Alayna Boutique, this was also a lip balm/USB holder which is going to be very handy when I am out and about. There was also a magnetic bookmark from Kaelis Paperie which was Kyo who is also from the Lunar Chronicles.



The book for this month was Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray and an added bonus was a bookmark with a Defy the Stars quote by . I am very much looking forward to reading this book as I loved Claudia Gray's Star Wars books and cannot wait to read something set in a world she has created.



Overall I was generally happy with this box, especially the BB-8 bath fizzle and Illuminae candle. I felt it was a shame that there were two items from the Lunar Chronicles, partially because I haven't read that series yet but also because there are other machine/robot characters which could have been included instead of a repeat. The other thing which let this box down for me personally was that unlike other subscription boxes there was no author letter and/or signed bookplate. 

For me this box is a little on the expensive side at $34.95 and then another $19.99 on top for International shipping. In the future if I try an American box again I would probably chose Owlcrate or something similar which includes that added signed bookplate just because I feel it adds a little something more.


(You can see my video of the unboxing here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekya-VjCmZk )


No comments:

Post a Comment