Details:
Title: Flame in the Mist
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
ISBN 13: 978-1473664425
Synopsis:
Mariko has always known that being a woman means she's not in control of her own fate. But Mariko is the daughter of a prominent samurai and a cunning alchemist in her own right, and she refuses to be ignored. When she is ambushed by a group of bandits known as the Black Clan enroute to a political marriage to Minamoto Raiden - the emperor's son - Mariko realises she has two choices: she can wait to be rescued... or she can take matters into her own hands, hunt down the clan and find the person who wants her dead.
Disguising herself as a peasant boy, Mariko infiltrates the Black Clan's hideout and befriends their leader, the rebel ronin Ranmaru, and his second-in-command, Okami. Ranmaru and Okami warm to Mariko, impressed by her intellect and ingenuity. But as Mariko gets closer to the Black Clan, she uncovers a dark history of secrets that will force her to question everything she's ever known.
I really enjoyed this book. It's been advertised as a Mulan re-telling but really other than the main character disguising herself as a boy that's as close as it gets. The Japanese setting is amazing and I loved the feel of that time and location. Mariko, our heroine, is a smart girl who feels constrained by being a woman. It was nice to see her come to terms with this over time and realise her own strength.
The romance involved was sweet and subtle and I adored the back and forth the characters involved had. The book ends on a massive cliffhanger so be warned, I cannot wait for the next one! I need to know what happens :)
The romance involved was sweet and subtle and I adored the back and forth the characters involved had. The book ends on a massive cliffhanger so be warned, I cannot wait for the next one! I need to know what happens :)
I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.
(This book comes out in May - I was sent an advanced copy for honest review from Netgalley)
(This book comes out in May - I was sent an advanced copy for honest review from Netgalley)

No comments:
Post a Comment