Thursday, 26 October 2017

Review #70 - A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars by Yaba Badoe



Details:

Title: A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars
Author: Yaba Badoe
Publisher: Zephyr
ISBN 13:  978-1786697981

Synopsis:

Sante was a baby when she was washed ashore in a sea-chest laden with treasure. It seems she is the sole survivor of the tragic sinking of a ship carrying refugees. Her people.
Fourteen years on she's a member of Mama Rose's unique and dazzling circus. But, from their watery grave, the unquiet dead are calling Sante to avenge them:
A bamboo flute. A golden band. A ripening mango which must not fall . . . if Sante is to tell their story and her own.
Review:

I did not really enjoy this book much at all. Sadly it felt very disjointed and confused. While the cover was stunning and the story idea sounded good it was very lacking in substance and clarity. The magical realism aspect seemed unnecessary and the serious issues it tried to address didn't feel developed or properly respected. It was such a shame as I was looking forward to reading something different which focused on cutting edge subjects. If I wasn't reading it for book club I would have DNF'd it.

I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment