Sunday, 4 August 2019

July Wrap Up

In July 2019 I managed to read a total of 14 books.


Audiobooks -




Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Narrated by Rebecca Soler
Length - 11h 21m
Star rating - 5 stars

As much as I loved Cinder I found I enjoyed Scarlet even more. I really adored her character and became very connected to her quickly. The stories are so clever and well thought out. They really are a joy to read. And I am loving listening to the audio versions, the narrator does an amazing job. 





Moroda by LL McNeil
Narrated by Georgie Leonard
Length - 12h 57m
Star rating - 4.5 stars

See full review






Queenslayer by Sebastien de Castell
Narrated by Joe Jameson
Length - 13h 4m
Star rating - 5 stars

This was a total comfort listen. I adore Joe Jameson's narration and combined with Sebastien de Castell's storytelling it make for the perfect listen. I still adored this book and love Kellen's story. 









 Cress by Marissa Meyer
Narrated by Rebecca Soler
Length - 15h 42m
Star Rating - 5 stars

Once again this book went well beyond my expectations - I love how well the stories connect together and flow so well. Cress herself was an adorable character and she definitely added a new perspective on events. Things are definitely hotting up in the overall story now!



Fairest by Marissa Meyer
Narrated by Rebecca Soler
Length - 5h 33m
Star Rating - 4 stars

I was advised to read this book before reading Winter, the final book in the Lunar Chronicles, and I am glad I did. This gives a lot of background information on Levana and was very interesting. I do believe by this point in the story she is irredeemable but it helped to understand her more. 





Novels  -

                             



The Squirrel Squire and the Tournament of Oaks by Erik DeLeo
Length - 110 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

See full review

                                                                       





The Girl with the Dragon Heart by Stephanie Burgis
Length - 240 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

I love how strong these books are, the characters are great and I was so pleased that this one focused on Silke as she was one of my faves from the first book. I was rooting for her the whole way through! 

          
                                                     






Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan
Length - 385 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars

I was so disappointed in this. The last 100 pages were especially confusing, I had no idea what was going on. Characters were flipping back and forth far too much to keep track of and plans were made then switched and then switched again. It was too much. Overall it was sadly a huge let down. I will not be reading the sequel. 

                              


Descendant of the Crane by Joan He
Length - 416 pages
Star Rating - 3 stars

This was an odd one for me. There was aspects I liked but overall I didn't gel with it, I'm not sure if it was the writing or what but I didn't ever feel compelled to pick it up. The main character was difficult to like and she irritated me a lot. It was very forgettable and I have no interest in continuing the story. 

           



We Are Blood and Thunder by Lesia Lupo
Length - 400 pages
Star Rating - 4.5 stars

See full review

                 


One Way by SJ Morden
Length - 304 pages
Star Rating - 2 stars

This had such potential but it just fell really flat. I was never on the edge of my seat and I figured out very quickly who the killer was. There was no suspense but an over abundance of technical detail which wasn't needed. Sadly it became boring and uninteresting very quickly. Definitely not a good example of a decent scifi thriller. 





The Starlight Watchmaker by Lauren James
Length - 119 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

See full review 

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
Length - 453 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

This was definitely one of my favourite reads of the year. The story was thoughtful and clever, the characters well developed and engaging and the setting was literally wonderful. I adored all our main characters and while I am happy with the ending I am also gutted this is a standalone as I would happily read more. 


          

                                                 Graphic Novels -

                             


Heartstopper vol 2 by Alice Osman
Length - 315 pages
Star Rating - 5 stars

This series never fails to make me smile. The story of Nick and Charlie is just so true, honest and sweet that I find myself completely absorbed in their lives. I adore them. 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment