Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Fairyloot Unboxing - May 2017



This is the unboxing of the May 2017 FairyLoot box. (What follows will contain spoilers so please do not read if you don't want to know what is in the box)

FairyLoot is a monthly book subscription box mainly focusing on fantasy YA and YA crossovers. Each month you receive a new release book, mostly hardback and 4-6 bookish items which fit in with the theme.


The theme this month was Myths and Legends. (Spoiler filled post under the cut)







The first item I found in the box was a little tin of tea called Warriors and Legends, it was by the Tea Leaf Company and was Jasmine and Lycee green tea. I love tea and this one does smell good so I am looking forward to trying it. It was also a Fairyloot Limited Edition tea.


Next there was a little candle by In the wick of time, the scent was warm stone and woodsmoke and it was called Mist. On the spoiler card it said there were 2 scents available and the other was called Flame, both were named by the author of the book.


The next items were a feather shaped pen, which was metallic gold in colour and Celtic socks. The socks are really nice and comfortable and have a celtic knot pattern on them.


The last items in the box were a wooden bookmark from Ink and Wonder with a Lord of the Rings design on it and a book on World Mythology in Bite Sized chunks which looks really cool.



The book this month was Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh.

Synopsis: 

Mariko has always known that being a woman means she's not in control of her own fate. But Mariko is the daughter of a prominent samurai and a cunning alchemist in her own right, and she refuses to be ignored. When she is ambushed by a group of bandits known as the Black Clan enroute to a political marriage to Minamoto Raiden - the emperor's son - Mariko realises she has two choices: she can wait to be rescued... or she can take matters into her own hands, hunt down the clan and find the person who wants her dead.
Disguising herself as a peasant boy, Mariko infiltrates the Black Clan's hideout and befriends their leader, the rebel ronin Ranmaru, and his second-in-command, Okami. Ranmaru and Okami warm to Mariko, impressed by her intellect and ingenuity. But as Mariko gets closer to the Black Clan, she uncovers a dark history of secrets that will force her to question everything she's ever known.

Also included was a letter from the author which was on the back of a beautiful print of the book cover, a signed bookplate and bookmark.

I liked this box a lot, the items fit well with the theme and they were varied. The fandom item included was nice though I do find it a shame they seem to be reducing the fandom related items in the box. As both this month and next month's will only have one.



I have actually already read Flame in the Mist as I got an advanced copy from Netgalley but I am so glad I now have the finished copy for my shelf especially because I very much enjoyed the story. Overall I am very pleased with this box.

No comments:

Post a Comment