Monday, 22 May 2017

Review #29 - The Bone Season




Details:

Title: 
The Bone Season
Author: Samantha Shannon
Publisher: Bloomsbury
ISBN 13: 978-1408836422

Synopsis:

The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people's minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.
It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford - a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.
Review:


I have to admit I have had a signed copy of this book since 2013 when I met Samantha Shannon at an event in London and I brought a copy of The Bone Season which she signed for me. I got the second in the series this year and she also signed that one too. When my best friend found signed copies of the most recent book in a bookstore in London I took that as a sign to start reading the series and so I did. And I am so glad I did! In fact I wish I had sooner! I really loved the world and warmed to Paige, the main character quite quickly.

It definitely isn't an easy read, there is a lot of world building and the magic system is complex but there is a handy guide in the back of the book to help with that. It's a well paced, exciting and nail biting journey, I recommend it to anybody who likes magical realism stories.

I gave this book 4.75 stars out of 5 and I am eagerly diving into the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment